You’re not the only one who is stressed about moving house. Pets can usually sense a move long before the last box is loaded onto the truck and the car pulls out of the driveway. There are lots of things to remember to ensure the transition to your new home goes smoothly for both you and your pet.
- If your pet is uncomfortable with long car rides ask your vet for a chemical relaxant to keep both you and your pet calm on the road.
- Give you pet plenty of exercise before a long car trip, and aim to transport them when on an empty stomach – you’ll be thanking yourself later!
- Cats and small dogs should always be moved in designated pet carriers.
- If the journey is longer than 1 hour, make sure to take regular stops to give your pet an opportunity to stretch its legs – on a lead of course.
- Make sure the car is kept cool to prevent heat stress and carry spare water in the car. Dogs especially feel the heat more when feeling stressed.
- When arriving at your new home, make sure the area for your pet to roam is well secured and free from hazardous substances like Rat Sak which dogs can mistakenly eat.
- Set up a bed for your pet with familiar items that have the scent of you. Clothing that you have recently worn works well.
- If the previous owners had pets, make sure the carpet has been professionally cleaned before arrival to minimise the impact of dormant fleas in in the home
- If you have moved only a short distance, cats will need to be kept secured indoors for at least 2 weeks to let them understand this is their new home. During this period it is important to take them away from the house so they can recognise and remember the appearance of the home from the street.
- Attach your new details to your cat or dog’s collar so someone can get in contact with you should they stray.
- Spend time with your pet in the first few days to reassure it and to help calm any anxiety from the move, and the new surroundings
Keep checking our advice page for more hints and tips on smart storage and moving solutions. For all your self-storage needs including onsite and offsite shipping containers, contact All Size Sheds, the Gold Coast’s smooth move specialists today. (07) 5534 7181.