Moving house while often stressful and almost always time consuming, does have an upside. Before you start packing it’s a good opportunity reassess the things that are important and de-clutter some of the things that you’ve accumulated along the way. So what are some of the possessions that you can unburden yourself with before your next move? The self storage specialists at All Size Sheds, share some suggestions of clutter you can ‘shed’ yourself of. This will not only make your move smooth, but will create more space and leave you feeling less burdened by your belongings.
Questions to ask and things to remember when de-cluttering:
• How much space will you have in the new home compared to old home? If you downsizing you’re definitely going to have to cull items or consider hiring a storage unit.
• Are you a hoarder? Do you buy stuff that you have forgotten you already own? Is your house hard to navigate from all the things around? Do you avoid inviting people over because you don’t want them to see the state of your house? If you answered yes to any of these questions you’re going to need extra motivation and drive to de-clutter.
• Take the one year test. If you haven’t used an item in the last year it’s often a sign that you don’t really need it.
• Are you overly sentimental and attach meaning to everything that you find?
What are some items worth de-cluttering?
– Old Magazines and Newspapers and books – Are you really going to reread these? Consider donating them (books) so someone else can enjoy them.
– Old Clothes – How many do you actually wear? Same goes for shoes.
– Excess kitchen wares including cutlery and crockery and plastic wares.
– Old Paint tins, the contents of junk cupboards or drawers
– Cassette and VHS tapes. Technology has moved on and perhaps you should too.
And finally: What are the benefits of de-cluttering your life?
We won’t get overly sentimental here but de-cluttering has heaps of benefits –many of them health related. For starters you’ll feel more in control and less stressed about the move, and you’ll have less to actually physically move into the new home which can only be a good thing. You’ll also feel more organised and be able to find what you need and quickly. You’ll also likely to get more out of your living space and keep a nicer home. What’s not to love about that?
For stress-free and smart moving solutions on the Gold Coast call All Size Sheds before your next move for assistance with self storage and moving advice. We’re the smooth move specialists so call us today (07) 5534 7181.