Whether you are relocating to another home or down-sizing your office space, there is no doubt that self-storage has many benefits, including being convenient, practical and secure. But there is an alternative to stationery self-storage units — mobile self-storage. But what is mobile self-storage, and what are some of the benefits of mobile self-storage containers?
What is it exactly?
A mobile self-storage unit is a special kind of trailer vault that is transported to your premises for you to load your belongings directly into. It is then returned to a secure facility when you no longer need access. Because it is mobile, It also means that when you want to access your belongings again, you simply call your provider, take out what you need, and then they return to the secure facility.
Why would I need it?
Just like storage units, mobile storage units are ideal if you are:
- Downsizing your home or office
- Decluttering your existing home or office
- You are unable to move straight into your new home
- You are moving from a house to an apartment
- There’s no storage available at your new property
- You are preparing your home for sale
What are some of its benefits?
The most obvious benefit of mobile self-storage is that they are portable. This makes the process of loading the unit more secure, safer and more convenient. Because the unit will also be parked into your driveway and a ramp lowered, it is easy to take items directly from your house and store them. You also don’t have to worry about items shifting during transit, as your belongings go directly from your home to their final, secured resting place in the vault.
Your items remain incredibly secure because the mobile self-storage unit is taken to your premises for you to load and lock yourself. This is because your belongings don’t need to go through a middle man to be trucked to the vault because the vault is the truck!
Peace of mind
When you use a mobile self-storage unit, you can choose and place the lock yourself, which is an additional layer of security. Only you will know the code or have the key, and it will be completely secure when it leaves your home.
How does the process work?
- Once you have booked it, the mobile self storage unit is delivered to your chosen location at a time that suits you.
- You have two options in terms of packing. You can either do it yourself or have a professional removalist do it for you. With the first option, you will need to make sure they are packed securely, and some items (like furniture) may require padding to stop them from shifting during transport. The second option will ensure this is done correctly as professional removalists are experienced, and some even offer a “no damage guarantee”.
- You then securely lock the unit, ready for pickup at a pre-booked time of your choosing.
- When it’s packed, you then secure the unit with keys that you retain.
- You then call the facility, and they will transport the unit to their premises.
- If you need to remove items, you simply call the facility and arrange a time when they will deliver the unit to your premises and you can unpack what you need.
What sizes are available?
The sizes of mobile storage units will depend on the provider (as will the cost involved). However, some standard sizes (of useable space, not external measurements) include:
- 10 cubic metre unit — which is around 2.3 metres in width x 1.8 metres long and 2.6 metres in height.
- 7 cubic metre unit — which is around 2.3 metres in width x 1.5 metres long and 2 metres in height.
Most mobile storage units are large enough to fit lounges, beds, white goods, boxes and other items from up to two rooms of furniture.